Taking close-ups

I have been making flowers and adding them to a card, and then photographing it for my blog .

The card was made as part of my duties as a Design Team member at Eclectic Ellapu and is for the May challenge of 'Anything Goes'. I used this photo in my discussion post yesterday as an example of my photography.


In a discussion post reply yesterday, Olivia comment on this photo and has said 
For real close up images of your work, check the focal distance of your camera lens (for a smartphone the closest you can get without it being unable to focus is about 15cm) - I just looked up your camera and it says this:
Focus Range: Normal mode: 50cm, Macro: 10cm
So if you are using Macro Mode you can get as close as 10cm before your camera can't focus.  Consider using a tripod for macro/closeup - it makes a huge difference!  It's best to try to take these photos, rather than just cropping a wider shot.
I often want to take a close up but have not managed to cope with my instruction booklet and set my lens. I do not have a tripod. I sometimes will put my camera onto a base rather than hold it but usually it is a point and snap job. I have of course used Macro - particularly for real flowers - but not thought to apply this to my work. 
On another matter, I was reading about creating a light box for taking shots. I try to do that at night if I am running late with something and need to get it posted. My version is to put white sheets of card around my work station area to surround the object and then to position the lamp over the top so that it does not throw too much shadow. I liked the idea of the tissue paper light box and might give it a go. 

I have a stand (wooden) made for me by hubby and painted white on one side and black on the other. I usually balance items on this to take the photo and mostly try to get natural light - out of the direct sun usually unless I want to show the sparkle on something. 
I watched another video on the art of taking a self portrait or portrait and the effects of light on the face. I found it very interesting as it reflected (pun intended) the notions that I employ when colouring in a stamped image - where does the sunlight come from and how or where would the shadows lie around this. 

I have been looking at some inspiration and the photography of this Instagram site has shown me some ways of displaying my tools of trade to promote my brand of self.

Nora Eisermann & Laura Muthesius
I like the change of angle shots used and the slightly dark images, with deep shadows occurring. I also like the idea of shooting straight down at the objects. The moodiness of this also appeals. 

Pinterest has always amazed me and it came up trumps today as well. What a good idea. Similar to the light box and to my display board. 


I also learned about the difference a bounce light sheet would make to my work and must try that as well. I have a metal sheet which would work as well I think. I will experiment. 

This is another site I have found that makes sense to me as a novice.



And here are some other ones that looks particularly useful for me:




Comments

Popular Posts