Orphaned Memories from the Last Week!

"Orphaned Memories"



This phrase occurred in the article

Digital photography: message and memory
Tuesday 1 April 2014 5:02 PM Antony Funnell
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/the-digital-photograph-message-and-memory/5358808

It struck a cord with me. As a scrapbooker, I know I have a lot of memories just waiting to be scrapped. Some will literally be scrapped - thrown away as they don't make a page - but most will be OK. The story will be told from my perspective. However, to date they are still on CD's or memory sticks or in small packets........waiting. This photo was one such orphan until now! It is of my step-son, taken about 6 years ago, setting up a game for his son. He worked with his father and I think that the two older males enjoyed the experience more than the child.

When I travel, I always use a diary to note where we have been and what we saw - and I gather ephemera as well to remind me. Then, when I have the time to scrap the trip, I use the diaries to help me work out where and what to write in the journalling and add the ephemera for some extra interest.

In deciding what photo's to draw on for the assignment, I relied on the advice from Olivia - to print out the photo's I was considering, cut them up and rearrange them into various stories. It was a brilliant suggestion and worked really well. I made several different stories from my collection of shots from the day and then a final selection. Although I had some excellent shots (in my opinion, however humble) some of these did not make the cut because they did not reflect the story I wanted to tell - the were jarring in the line-up. I still had (have) some difficulties though - and my selection is not perfect butI have other things to move on to and need to get this completed.




Comments

Popular Posts